Flat Foot Stooges (1938) starring the Three Stooges — Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Curly Howard
Why a duck?
A duck? Yes, a duck … A duck that’s eaten some of the gunpowder he’s spilled from his bomb. And, it lays an explosive egg! That sets the upstairs of the fire house on fire. It’s a little madcap as the fire fighters try to get to the fire, despite the “help” of Moe’s invention, a crazy device to automatically harness the horses – that doesn’t work. With a little creativity from Chester Conklin, they make it back to the firehouse in time . They rescue the beautiful daughter (in a classic clown gag) and the villain gets his just desserts.
A very funny short film and I rate it 4 clowns out of 5. Flat Foot Stooges is available on the Three Stooges DVD collection, The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 2: 1937-1939.
A final note – with silent film clown Chester Conklin as the fire chief, and the short film directed by another classic silent film clown Charley Chase, it almost feels like a reunion of classic film clowns.
Funny movie quotes from Flat Foot Stooges
Curly (Curly Howard): I ain’t gonna take no shower!
Moe (Moe Howard): Why not?
Curly (Curly Howard): I don’t got my bathing cap!
Moe (Moe Howard): Do you smell anything?
Curly (Curly Howard): No, especially smoke!
Curly (Curly Howard): That’s the first mouse I ever smelled that smelled like smoke.
Moe (Moe Howard): What did you expect a firehouse mouse to smell like, a petunia?
Moe (Moe Howard): This is my brainchild!
Curly (Curly Howard): Ah, you’re not even married!
Cast of characters
- Curly Howard … Curly
- Larry Fine … Larry
- Moe Howard … Moe
- Dick Curtis (The Tooth Will Out) … Mr. Reardon
- Chester Conklin (Micro-Phonies, Dough and Dynamite) … Fire Chief Kelly
- Lola Jensen (Yes, We Have No Bonanza, Dance Girl Dance) … Miss Crickett Kelly
- Heinie Conklin (Spook Louder) … Traffic Policeman
- Kernan Cripps … Fireman at Alarm Console
- Bruce Mitchell … Fireman reading newspaper
- Harry Myers (City Lights) … Man with Binoculars
- Al Thompson (Fiddlers Three) … Volunteer