Bedlam in Paradise (1955) starring the Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Shemp), Philip van Zandt, Vernon Dent
Bedlam in Paradise is a remake of Heavenly Daze. It’s one of the few remakes that’s superior to the original. The basic plot is the same: Shemp dreams that he’s died. Moe and Larry unwittingly having him swallow a mercury thermometer didn’t help! Not being fit for Heaven, he’s given a chance by “Uncle Mortimer” to return to Earth as a ghost and reform Moe and Larry. If he can do that, he’ll return to Heaven permanently.
Added scenes include:
Bedlam in Paradise begins with an opening prologue of Shemp as he dies in a rather comical fashion
Next, the devil, portrayed by Philip van Zandt, tempts Shemp with a beautiful she-demon (Sylvia Lewis as “Helen Blazes”)
Later, Philip van Zandt also tries to lead Moe and Larry astray on Earth as Mr. Heller.
Then, he gets whipped cream the face in the end. “Well that beats the devil!”
Finally, despite the initial dying scene, the short ends the same. Shemp wakes up after having been smoking in bed. Though here Shemp gets pied in the face. Lastly, he writes a letter to their heavenly Uncle Mortimer.
Cast of characters
- Shemp Howard … Shemp
- Larry Fine … Larry
- Moe Howard … Moe / Uncle Mortimer / Heavenly Train Announcer
- Vernon Dent (Squareheads of the Round Table) … I. Fleecem
- Philip Van Zandt (Mummy’s Dummies) … The Devil aka Mr. Heller
- Sylvia Lewis (The Ladies Man) … Helen Blazes
- Symona Boniface (In the Sweet Pie and Pie) … Mrs. De Puyster (archive footage)
- Judy Malcolm (No Dough Boys) … Heavenly Switchboard Operator
- Marti Shelton … Ms. Jones
- Victor Travis (Loco Boy Makes Good) … Mr. De Puyster
Updated May 28, 2022