Three Little Pigskins starring the Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curly) – originally released December 8, 1934
Three Little Pigskins begins with nary a Stooge in sight. The short film begins at the apartment of a gangster, who is in danger of losing $50,000 if his football team doesn’t win. And then he receives the news that three of his best players have been injured. He and his two “friends” go out to try and find some replacement football players, leaving their three girlfriends (including a very young, and blonde, Lucille Ball) behind. Meanwhile, the Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, and Curly) are being mendicants, stopping various individuals to ask for money for a bite to eat — and failing miserably.
One man, however, hires them to dress as football players and carry signs as a promotion for “The Three Horsemen of Boulder Dam: — college football players. After some horseplay, one of the gangster’s girlfriends runs across the Stooges, and mistakenly think that they’re the actual football players that her boyfriend needs to save his football team. After the boys have become soaking wet while retrieving her hat (and destroying a car in the process), she invites them back to their apartment, so that her boyfriend can offer them money to play for them. Once back at the apartment, the boys change into dry clothes (the girlfriends’ robes), and engage in some games (including blind man’s bluff) with the girlfriends. Only to have the gangsters return, and get the wrong idea!
Onto the Football Field
Running for their lives, the Three Stooges try to escape to the basement via a dumb waiter. Until Curly inadvertently breaks it, leading to Moe, Larry and the chief gangster falling down into the basement. Where the Stooges are given an offer that they can’t refuse — play football! Unfortunately, the Stooges don’t know anything about the game, and watching them is utterly hilarious. They fail miserably, of course, and the short film ends with the gangsters chasing the Stooges away, with guns blazing.
Three Little Pigskins is a very funny Three Stooges short film and recommended viewing. Three Little Pigskins is available as part of the DVD collection The Three Stooges Collection volume 1.
Funny movie quotes from Three Little Pigskins
Moll: What’s amateur status.
Man: It’s a big political party.
Moll: Are are we going to it?
Man: Relax, we’re all going.
Begging for money
Moe (Moe Howard): Can I have a dime for a hamburger?
Man on the street: Go on, you can get a hamburger for a nickel anyplace.
Moe (Moe Howard): Yeah, but I need the other five cents for a bicarbonate of soda.
Curly (Curly Howard): [with his hand in his coat pocket, as though he’s hiding a gun] Stick ’em up!
Man on the street: I havenât got a dime. It’s a depression with me.
Curly (Curly Howard): You talking depression and me with a gun here without bullets?
Man: A gun without bullets?
Curly (Curly Howard): Yeah.
Man: You on the square about it?
Curly (Curly Howard): Yeah. [man punches Curly]
Man on the street: Does a dollar a piece influence you boys any?
Moe (Moe Howard): Is it honest work?
Man: Does it matter?
Moe, Larry, Curly (Curly Howard): No, not really.
Moe (Moe Howard): [giving directions to Larry] If you get there first, put a chalk mark.
Larry (Larry Fine): Okay. What if you get there first?
Moe (Moe Howard): Then I’ll rub it out.
Stooges and Molls
Moll (Lucille Ball): What are you studying at college?
Larry (Larry Fine): Pig Latin. Hat-way are-ay ou-yay oing-day onight-tay? You wouldn’t know a thing about that, would you?
Moll (Lucille Ball): Oh, oh-nay.
Moe (Moe Howard): Oh, a gold digger.
Moll: Oh, a miner.
Moe (Moe Howard): No, I’m 36. Larry’s a minor — he’s 44.
Moll: Girls, girls, I got ’em, I got ’em!
Moll (Lucille Ball): What, the jitters?
Trivia for Three Little Pigskins starring the Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curly)
- Curly Howard broke a leg after riding down the dumbwaiter.
- Larry Fine lost a tooth when a punch was mistimed.
- In the scene where the Stooges as football players pile on to some photographers, director Ray McCarey wanted the Stooges to do the stunt themselves. They refused, saying it was too dangerous and to get stuntmen to do it. McCarey assured them they wouldn’t be hurt, but they still refused. McCarey got three stuntmen to do it, and two of the three, as well as the actors playing the photographers, wound up with broken arms and legs.
- Lucille Ball appears with blond hair in her only Three Stooges short.
- The gangster Joe Stacks is played by Walter Long, a frequent Laurel and Hardy regular
Cast of characters
- Moe Howard … Moe
- Larry Fine … Larry
- Curly Howard … Curley
- Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) … Daisy Simms
- Gertie Green … Lulu Banks
- Phyllis Crane (Hoi Polloi) … Molly Gray
- Harry Bowen … Man with honest work
- Lynton Brent (Beer Barrel Polecats) … First Pedestrian
- Bobby Burns (Loco Boy Makes Good) … Third Pedestrian
- Charles Dorety (Dizzy Pilots) … Photographer
- Milt Douglas (Horses Collars) … Henchman
- Oscar ‘Dutch’ Hendrian … Referee
- William Irving (Grips, Grunts and Groans) … Photographer
- Johnny Kascier (Brideless Groom) … Fourth Pedestrian
- Jack ‘Tiny’ Lipson (Hoi Polloi) … Referee
- Walter Long (Pardon Us) … Joe Stacks (uncredited)
- Roger Moore … Pete, Joe’s Henchman (uncredited)
- Jimmy Phillips … Football Umpire (uncredited)