In Squareheads of the Round Table, the Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Shemp) are troubadours who help their friend Cedric the Blacksmith win the hand of the fair princess Elaine. But her father the king objects!
Squareheads of the Round Table (1948) starring the Three Stooges (Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Shemp Howard), Christine McIntyre, Vernon Dent, Philip Van Zandt
Synopsis of Squareheads of the Round Table
Squareheads of the Round Table is set in Elizabethan times. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Shemp) are troubadours who decide to help their friend Cedric the Blacksmith (Jock Mahoney) win the hand of the fair princess Elaine (Christine McIntyre). At night the group sneaks into the castle to serenade Elaine, but pick the wrong window and are caught by the King (Vernon Dent). Tossed in the dungeon, the boys escape with Cedric’s help and manage to foil the plans of the Black Prince (Philip Van Zandt) who was plotting against the King. All turns out well when the grateful King allows Cedric to marry Elaine.
Comedy highlights of Squareheads of the Round Table
- The Stooges’ serenading of the princess.
- When Shemp thinks he is talking to Christine McIntyre (covered up in bed) but is really talking to the king (Vernon Dent), her father.
- Vernon Dent on the trestle.
- The Three Stooges’ attempt to break out of prison.
- Corridor chase scene (2 guards, 3 Stooges).
- The Stooges keep the trumpets from blowing.
Funny movie quotes from Squareheads of the Round Table
Moe: [about the troubadours’ singing] The way we sing, sometimes they throw rocks!
Knight: I can believe that.
Knight: If you see Cedric the Smith, report the news to the Black Prince and you’ll be well rewarded. He has sworn to have Cedric’s head.
Larry: What does he want Cedric’s head for? Aint he got one of his own?
Shemp: Ya dope! Two heads are better than one! [Moe slaps Larry and Shemp as they laugh]
Moe: One for all.
Shemp: And every man for himself.
Shemp: Wait a minute! Wait a minute! How do I know the dame won’t scream her head off when she sees me?
Moe: I wouldn’t blame her.
Moe: [thinking Larry is dead] If they could only bring him back, I’d never hit him again.
Larry: [pops out from his hiding place] Really? [Moe slaps him]
Moe: Let’s dance.
Larry: What’ll we use for music?
Moe: Turn on the radio!
Larry: Are you kidding? This is ancient times!
Moe: This is an ancient radio!
[Sure enough, they step over to a real ancient radio and switch it on. After a commercial for suits of armor, a banjo plays “Old Folks at Home.”]
King (Vernon Dent): My daughter, marry a smith?
Shemp: Take it easy king, millions of women marry Smiths every year.
Cast of characters
- Shemp Howard … Shemp
- Larry Fine … Larry
- Moe Howard … Moe
- Christine McIntyre (The Hot Scots) … Princess Elaine
- Philip Van Zandt (Fuelin’ Around) … The Black Prince
- Jock Mahoney (Punchy Cowpunchers) … Cedric the Blacksmith
- Vernon Dent (Higher Than a Kite) … King Arthur
- Tiny Brauer (Sing a Song of Six Pants) … Sir Satchel
- Douglas D. Coppin … Soldier
- Joe Garcio (Phony Express) … Soldier
- Robert Kellard (Three Little Pirates) … Guard #1
- Judy Malcolm (No Dough Boys) … Lady-In-Waiting
- Joe Palma (Hot Stuff) … Guard #2