They Stooge to Conga (1943) starring Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Curly Howard, Vernon Dent, Dudley Dickerson
Synopsis of They Stooge to Conga
In They Stooge to Conga, Moe, Larry, and Curly are inept repairmen who are hired to fix a doorbell. Unknown to them, the house is secretly full of Nazi agents!
Review of They Stooge to Conga
They Stooge to Conga is a very enjoyable Three Stooges short, where they defeat Nazis during World War II. But with one really disturbing scene.
They Stooge to Conga begins with the Stooges as repair men, trying to find work. It’s a funny beginning, with Curly getting turned down by young woman — who turns out to be a fortune teller! Soon, they’re hired by a stern-looking woman (Minerva Urecal) who simply needs her doorbell repaired.
Once inside the house, it’s the typical Three Stooges mayhem, as they pull the wiring through the walls, trying to pull each other through the walls, etc. While they’re causing chaos, it’s revealed to the audience that the house is actually a base for Nazi & Japanese saboteurs, with Hans (Vernon Dent) as the leader.
Having caused the maximum destruction inside the house (including tormenting poor Dudley Dickerson), they take the mayhem outside. And, up a telephone pole – where the disturbing physical comedy happens. Curly is wearing climbing spikes to go up the pole. And the spike (seemingly) goes into the top of Moe’s head, his eye, and his ear.
Dealing with the Nazi
Soon, Curly breaks into a second-story window, and Moe and Larry go looking for him. They find the radio room where the Nazis are communicating with a U-boat. And, where the boat can be remotely controlled. It’s an opportunity too good for the Stooges to pass up, and soon the submarine is leaping out of the water like a dolphin! It’s an obviously fake model — but still hilarious!
And finally, there’s a fight between the Stooges and the Nazis, that ends with the Stooges triumphant — and the end of the film.
Trivia for They Stooge to Conga
- For years the “climbing spike” scene was deleted from this short. It was deemed too graphic even for a Stooges short.
- The short’s title is a parody on the classic play, “She Stoops to Conquer”.
- Moe calls the painting of Hitler “Schicklgruber.” This was Hitler’s mother’s maiden name – a common insult to Hitler.
- The (model) footage of the submarine was also used on Three Little Sew and Sews.
- Lloyd Bridges has a short cameo as one of the customers whose phone line is scrambled by the Stooges.
Editorial review of They Stooge to Conga courtesy of Amazon.com
“They Stooge to Conga” (1943, #67) might refer to a second or two of dancing the conga in the last film. But here the boys find a nest of spies, and when Moe dresses again as Hitler, it is only to thwart the enemy. Some close-ups of Moe getting a spike in his eyes and ears are a bit distasteful, but an electrified Curly makes the sequence very funny. –Frank Behrens
Funny movie quotes from They Stooge to Conga
Lady: The doorbell isn’t working. Can you fix it?
Moe: Can we FIX it?
Larry: Can we FIX it?
Curly: Can we?
Moe: Try this: why can’t a chicken lay a loaf of bread?
Curly: She ain’t got the crust!
Japanese spy: Oh, so?
Hans, the Nazi: So what?
Japanese spy: So.
Hans, the Nazi: Heil Hitler!
Moe: [dressed as Hitler] Heel!
Hans, the Nazi: When we find them, we shoot them between the eyes.
Japanese saboteur: No, in the back!
Hans, the Nazi: So, FBI, eh?
Curly: No, I be Curly!
Curly: Hello Ma? Hello Pa? It was a glorious battle!
Cast of characters
- Curly Howard … Curly
- Larry Fine … Larry
- Moe Howard … Moe
- Vernon Dent (Sing a Song of Six Pants) … Hans – the Nazi
- Minerva Urecal (The Ape Man) … Marsha – the Nazi Housekeeper
- Dudley Dickerson (A Plumbing We Will Go) … Wilbur – the Cook
- Lloyd Bridges (Sahara) … Telephone Customer #2 (uncredited)
- Stanley Brown (So Long Mr. Chumps) … Bomber Pilot (uncredited)
- Julie Duncan (Three Smart Saps) … Telephone Customer #3 (uncredited)
- Frederick Giermann (Calling Dr. Death) … U-Boat Commander (uncredited)
- Dick Jensen (Dizzy Detectives) … Saboteur (uncredited)
- Robert Kellard (Three Little Pirates) … Telephone Customer #1 (uncredited)
- Eddie Laughton (So Long Mr. Chumps) … Radio Quiz Announcer (uncredited)
- Christine McIntyre (Who Done It?) … 5th Telephone Customer (uncredited)
- Charles Sherlock … Saboteur (uncredited)
- John Tyrrell (Three Smart Saps) … German Officer / Telephone Customer #4 (uncredited)