What’s the Matador? (1942) starring the Three Stooges – Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Curly Howard
In What’s the Matador?, the Three Stooges (Moe, Larry and Curly) are struggling actors, trying to get a job at the talent agency of Goldberg, Ginsberg, Rosenberg & O’Brien — but Mr. O’Brien will have nothing to do with their new bullfighting act. Overhearing a phone conversation, however, they connive their way to Mexico to perform at a stadium. Along they way, they entertain a beautiful young lady named Delores, only to have her jealous husband get angry at them, and walks off with his wife … and the Stooges’ luggage.
After some fun at trying to find Delores (complete with a backwards conversation with a Mexican native), by sheer luck they manage to find her and try to exchange suitcases — while trying to avoid her jealous husband. Eventually, the husband discovers the Three Stooges, one by one, and they manage to escape with their skins intact.
Later, the Three Stooges prepare to put on their bullfighting act, with Curly acting as the matador, and Moe and Larry inside a bull costume. It’s a funny bit, until the jealous husband bribes someone to let a real bull loose in the stadium. Moe and Larry escape over the wall, leaving the clueless Curly in the arena with the real bull — who’s not playing. Soon the bull is chasing Curly, who’s running for his life, and even when Curly thinks he has the upper hand, the bull tosses him into the air, with slapstick as Curly lands on the bull. And despite Moe and Larry’s ‘assistance’, Curly eventually gets angry enough to head-but the bull, and be victorious!
What’s the Matador? is a very funny Three Stooges short film, and highly recommended. It’s available on DVD as part of The Three Stooges Collection volume 3.
Funny movie quotes from What’s the Matador?
Moe (Moe Howard): He’s the front of the bull, and he’s in the bull too …
Secretary: You’re full of bull.
Moe (Moe Howard): Mr. O’Brien, we’ve got a new act!
Larry (Larry Fine): It’s phenomenal!
Curly (Curly Howard): It’s sensational!
Larry (Larry Fine): It’s terrific!
Curly (Curly Howard): It’s even mediocre!
Shamus O’Brien: Not you, señor, these other idiots!
Mexican agent: Who’s an idiot?
Shamus O’Brien: Not You señor, these other idiots who are bigger idiots!
Jealous husband: How dare you hug my wife in front of my eyes?
Curly (Curly Howard): Turn around, and I’ll hug her behind your back.
Mexican man: [awoken by the Three Stooges] Siesta!
Larry (Larry Fine): Hey, maybe if we see Esther, she can tell us where to find Delores.
Moe (Moe Howard): I bet he eats soup with a knife.
Moe (Moe Howard): The door’s open. There must be honest people in this country.
Husband: [rushing to get his wife an aspirin] I am flying, my love! [runs into a door] I am flying too fast!
Curly (Curly Howard): (counting like a boxing referee) 1,2,3,4,5, plus 5 is 10, you’re out!
Trivia for What’s the Matador? starring the Three Stooges – Moe, Larry, Curly
- Don Zelaya’s instruction’s roughly translated from Spanish have him telling the Stooges to go left then right and then go jump in the river.
Cast of characters
- Curly Howard … Curly (as Curly)
- Larry Fine … Larry (as Larry)
- Moe Howard Moe Howard … Moe (as Moe)
- Suzanne Kaaren Disorder in the Court, The Devil Bat) … Dolores Sanchez
- Harry Burns (Tortilla Flat) … Jose Sanchez
- Dorothy Appleby (In the Sweet Pie and Pie) … O’Brien’s Secretary
- Paul Ellis … Pedro Alverez (uncredited)
- Joe Garcio (Three Little Pirates) … Audience Member (uncredited)
- Eddie Laughton (Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise) … Telegraph Clerk / Bullring Attendant (uncredited)
- Cy Schindell (Dizzy Doctors) … Bullring Attendant (uncredited)
- Al Thompson (Dizzy Pilots) … Audience Member (uncredited)
- John Tyrrell (Booby Dupes) … Shamus O’Brien (uncredited)
- Bert Young (Dizzy Doctors) … Bullring Attendant (uncredited)
- Don Zelaya (Macao) … Sleeping Mexican (uncredited)