The Three Stooges Collection volume two (1937-1939)
And the hits keep on coming! That’s how I like to describe the second volume of the Three Stooges DVD collection, this time covering the years from 1937 through 1939, for a total of 24 short films. Like the first volume, it’s a complete collection of those years, beautifully restored, with little extras on the DVD. But when the comedy’s this good, I frankly don’t care about the “extras.”
The shorts included are:
- Back to the Woods
- Pity the poor Native Americans when they have to deal with Moe, Larry and Curly as settlers!
- Cash and Carry
- A sweet, touching Three Stooges short film as Moe, Larry and Curly try to raise $500.00 so “little Jimmy can have his operation”
- Dizzy Doctors
- Moe, Larry and Curly sell “Brighto!”
- Goofs and Saddles
- Moe, Larry and Curly go West, young man!
- Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb
- After Curly wins $50,000 the Stooges move in to the Hotel Costa Plenty – and do plenty of damage! How much will be left after taxes?
- Playing the Ponies
- The Three Stooges trade their restaurant for a broken-down race horse – until they feed him red-hot peppers!
- The Sitter-Downers
- The Three Stooges do a ‘sit-down strike’ until their sweethearts’ father will give them permission to wed — and then they have to build the house!
- Tassels in the Air
- In a case of mistaken identity, the Three Stooges are hired by a rich woman to redecorate her house ….
- Three Dumb Clucks
- Curly plays a double role as the Three Stooges’ father, who is abandoning their mother in order to marry a young floozy … who plans to kill him off as soon as he says, “I do!”
- Violent is the Word For Curly
- The classic episode where the Three Stooges start as gas station attendants, and soon impersonate college professors, where they sing Swinging the Alphabet (akia. “B-A-Bay”)
- Wee Wee Monsieur
- The Three Stooges (while singing the Lollipop song) are artistic failures in France, and think that the French Foreign Legion will help them get home — whoops!
- Grips, Grunts and Groans
- The Three Stooges are hobos who find themselves employed as nursemaids to the professional wrestler Bustoff — when they fail to keep him sober, Moe has Curly try to take his place!
- Termites of 1938
- The Three Stooges are pest exterminators, who are mistaken for male escorts, and hired by a rich society matron to impress her guests!
- A Ducking They Did Go
- Moe, Larry and Curly take a job, selling memberships in a duck hunting club to the police and the mayor! Unfortunately for them, it’s a scam, and where are the ducks?
- Calling All Curs
- One of the Three Stooges best short films, where Moe, Larry and Curly play veterinarians who have to rescue an expensive, kidnapped poodle
- Flat Foot Stooges
- Moe, Larry and Curly are inept firefighters who have to rescue the fire chief’s daughter from a fire in their own fire station!
- Mutts to You
- Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise
- A personal favorite Three Stooges short film, where Curly’s wishes come true, and they help a widow (and her beautiful daughters) keep their oil-rich land from con men.
- Saved by the Belle
- The Three Stooges are trying to sell fur coats in a hot South American company, and accidentally get caught up in a revolution — and all factions keep trying to put them in front of a firing squad!
- Three Little Sew and Sews
- Three Missing Links
- Cast in a Tarzan-like movie at the studio where the Stooges are janitors, all seems well in Africa — except for the gorilla, and the cannibal!
- Three Sappy People
- A classic Three Stooges short film, mocking the idle rich, where the Stooges are mistaken for psychiatrists who have to “cure” an irresponsible young wife!
- We Want Our Mummy
- A classic Three Stooges short film, where the Stooges are hired to find a missing archeologist, and so they take a cab to Egypt (!) and look for the lost tomb of Pharaoh Rutentooten!
- Yes, We Have No Bonanza
- The Three Stooges are working as waiters in an Old West saloon, who have to raise money to pay off their girlfriends’ debts — and they go off prospecting, and “dig up” some of their crooked boss’ stolen loot!
Order The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 2: 1937-1939 from Amazon.com